The Gang Goes Pickin’
"What I found from working with Elon is that he starts by defining a goal and he puts a lot of effort into understanding what that goal is and why it is a good and valid goal. His goal, as I see it, has not changed from the day he first called me in August of 2001. I still hear it in his speeches. His goal was to make mankind a multi planetary species and to do that he had to first solve the transportation problem."
Seems that you’re wrong, actually.
1. It would seem that keeping up on the world’s current events would lead to a greater appreciation for, and a healthy perspective of, the fortuitous privilege afforded to us simply by nature of being born in America.
2. It seems that the more educated one is, the more interested in the world’s current events one would be. This is a logical assumption and substantiated by the fact that I recall a study done in which the majority of news readers were found to have household incomes greater than $100,000.
3. There also seems to be a direct correlation between education and socioeconomic status, ie education = money and power. This one is not so much an assumption as it is a universal truth (at least while quality education is a fundamental right only in theory, and not yet in practice).
4. By this logic, one seemingly could assume that the most financially successful in our society, being the best educated, would also be the most sympathetic to world affairs, and thus motivated to take action not only for the benefit of the less fortunate abroad, but to provide some degree of safety, support, and equal opportunity for those in their own country.
5. Apparently, however, things aren’t always what they seem to be.
Nice knowing you.
Once upon a time (less than 20 years ago), the following excerpt was an actual, seemingly legitimate concern that people had.
"Even before RHIC began operating in 2000, some people worried that the unprecedented experiment would pose risks of potentially catastrophic scenarios. Some of the concerns included the creation of a black hole or production of strange matter that could result in the destruction of the Earth, possibly within seconds."
Could result in the destruction of the Earth, possibly within seconds. Amazing.